[Board] FOSS4G 2013 Board Liaison

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Jul 4 00:27:50 PDT 2012

Hi Jeff and others,

This year I'm helping to organize SotM in Tokyo and I fully agree with what
Jeff says.
Every year there are people of the past years taking also a leading role
for the next SotM conference, and this really helps a lot!
The payment system is the same every year, the conference website is
basically the same every year, blog posts and other documents of the past
can be modified and reused. So the basic infrastructure and knowledge is
there already. Without the knowledge and the contribution of those people,
it would be really hard for the local volunteers to do it all themselves.
Instead I feel organization is getting better with every conference.

The problem now with SotM organizers is, that there are lots of not so
exciting (administrative) tasks. Jeff probably knows what I mean ;-)
Especially those, who help every year, get tired of these tasks, and we
thought it would be more than fair to pay someone doing this job for the
next SotM.

Daniel

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>wrote:

> For those not sure of what such a 'FOSS4G advisor' role is, luckily I
> had created such a wiki page outlining this exact role:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Advisor_Role
>
> We can all see how essential this role is now.  It can be just attending
> irc or listening in on weekly conference calls; but there is always
> something that comes up in each LOC, such as "I don't think t-shirts are
> important so let's not give them to attendees" or "why do we need this
> darn ribbon in the logo".....everyone would be shocked at how often I
> had to argue these little points each year; "little" to the LOC, not
> little to the passionate attendees.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> yours,
>
> -jeff