[Board] Charter Member Nomination period ended.

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Sat Jul 7 00:20:06 PDT 2012

Board,
the new Charter Member nomination period ended tonight. We have 22 new
candidates from all around the world. Except for two I know all of them
personally and those two have been nominated and supported by
individuals who I personally know and trust. There is not one candidate
who would not be a valuable OSGeo Charter Member.

In the original schedule I arbitrarily limited the number of new members
to 20. As per our regulations [0] we are free to add between 10% and one
third of the existing charter membership count as decided by the board.
With 125 existing members this would mean between 13 and 42 new members.

It would be a pity to have to exclude two of the nominees which is why I
suggest that we accept all nominees into Charter Membership. If you have
doubts please discuss here.

Unfortunately the schedule is pretty tight meaning that we have to
decide really quickly, else we have to open the voting period.

To complicate things I will be traveling as of today afternoon, so might
not see the outcome of the motion. In case we have to run a vote Michael
will have to announce the opening of the election period.

I will now write a separate mail with a motion to the effect of
accepting all 22 nominees into Charter Membership without an election
process. Another advantage of proceeding in this way is that Charter
Members have more time to prepare for the upcoming Board elections.

Best regards,
Arnulf, CRO

[0] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Membership_Process

--