[Board] Fwd: Re: MOTION: Accept invitation to become Strategic Institutional Partner for GWF

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Tue Jul 24 20:52:36 PDT 2012

On 2012/07/25 4:14, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Forwarding Arnulf's response to the board list...
>
> (and my +1 for Arnulf as rep. for this)

Partnership between GWF (Geospatial World Forum) started in
2009 when when GWF was called Map World Forum and held
in Hyderabad, India. Gary Lang, Geoff Ziess, Mori Toru, Ravi and myself
attended
as OSGeo representatives and OSGeo-India team was there in full
force and has a (paid) booth there. GWF 2011  (the first one by that
name) was also held in Hyderabad India with Arnulf, Maria Brovelli, Ravi and
myself participating as OSGeo representatives and again with a large
contingent of great folks OSGeo-India. At both these events the OSGeo
session
had a packed audience.

While GWF is a great forum for spreading awareness about OSGeo and FOSS4G
technologies, could someone on the board enlighten me about;

a) what other tangible benefits that the Strategic Partnership has provided
in terms of new sponsors, members, projects coming into to OSGeo?

b) What was the audience for OSGeo Session at GWF-2012?

c) Could the strategic partnership with GWF evolve into a mode that
allows generation of some revenue for OSGeo?

Best

Venka