[Board] Asking permission for re-licensing from LGPL to Apache

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri Jul 27 09:46:05 PDT 2012

Jody

My previous email was a question to the OSGeo board about the
interpretation of a particular paragraph of the copyright agreement, as
pointed by Frank. We understand that GeoTools has its own schedule,
consequently we didn't asked any decision about the 5% of "core" code
that we didn't wrote. Please take all the time you need for this
particular topic.

We are trying to get a formal OSGeo statement about the contributors
ability to re-license their own code, with all other contributions
removed. That the GeoTools PMC wants to check technical facts (code
history or the like) is a valuable task, but I don't see it as a
necessary task for the above-cited general question.

Our projects also have their own fishes to fry. In order to allow anyone
to go forward, please let try to get a formal position on a topic that
shouldn't be contentious: which rights OSGeo contributors do have
regarding their own work? I think we can let the GeoTools PMC decision
about the rest of the code has a separated topic.

     Martin