[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] Nomination for Cameron Shorter

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Mon Jul 30 04:50:22 PDT 2012

On 07/30/2012 12:38 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 30/07/2012 6:53 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>> Board,
>> this is a request from a potential new director asking two questions he
>> would like to get answered before he accepts his nomination.
>>
>> [snip]

>>> travel
>
> Arnulf,
> I've worked around timezone issues for years, so I think that we can
> work around it on a board as well.
>
> I'm more concerned about my "no travel" requirements. If the board feels
> face-to-face meetings are a requirement of being part of the board, then
> I'll probably need to step back. I'm hopeful with today's virtual
> communication tools we can work around a requirement for face-to-face
> meetings.
> As Arnulf notes, if you think face-to-face meetings are very important,
> then please speak up.

I personally believe that face to face meetings are really important and
help to get things done. The F2F situation simply requires us to
specifically focus on OSGeo. We are all highly busy people and this is
one of the few chances where we can really collaborate intensely and
this invariably brought us the best results.

But again - not being able to attend should not be a blocker for
somebody interested in running for the board. There are many things that
need to be done in preparation for an F2F and conference calls can help
to bridge the gap. It helps even to have only half the directors in one
place and the others join in remotely. Still better than all dispersed.

Regards,
Arnulf

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind