[Board] Update on Directors & Officers Liability Insurance

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 7 08:21:43 PDT 2012

Hi board,

Here is an update on the Directors & Officers Liability Insurance that
was up for renewal in May. This update comes a bit late because things
were finalized only on Friday May 18th, and then I was leaving on
vacation and just got back this week.

So here we go... after going back and forth with the broker and insurer,
we were able to get the premium down to 1,123$ (+300$ commission =
1,423$) by removing the Employee Pratices Liability (EPLI) coverage and
going for D&O coverage only for the board directors (not including all
the volunteers which is what apparently caused the much higher quote).

We got this revised quote on Friday May 18, and since our policy was due
for renewal on May 13th (i.e. already expired), I had to move quick and
give a response right away to avoid a gap in coverage. So I accepted the
new quote and we are now covered for the coming year for D&O liability
insurance, for the board directors only. (This is essentially the same
that we had in the past minus Tyler as ED, since they were never aware
before that we had so many volunteers involved with the organization).

My recommendation would be that next year we start early and try to find
a broker that is more familiar with our type of organization. There are
a few listed in the thread on D&O Insurance at
http://flossfoundations.org/best-foundations-mailing-list (you need to
subscribe to the Foundations list to get to the list archives).

--
Daniel Morissette
OSGeo Treasurer