[Board] Resurrecting the Eclipse discussion

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 02:07:56 PDT 2012

Andrew, thank you for this email which helps clarify (at least for me)
what a joint Eclipse/OSGeo relationship might look like. In particular,
I found this section on your website very insightful:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Location/FAQ#Q:_What_is_the_difference_between_Eclipse_and_OSGeo_for_example.3F

I've actually learned a few things about OSGeo from this page.

Re Conferences: I think that the path forward toward a joint
OSGeo/Eclipse FOSS4G conference formula will be reasonably easy to
navigate. I'll leave that topic for the moment.

Re: Foundations providing an umbrella for projects:
* I think there is potentially a lot of value to be gained by bringing
in the best of both OSGeo and Eclipse, although there is also the
potential for fragmentation between two competing foundations which
would be less desirable. I may be an optimist, but as we all come from
Open Source backgrounds, I think we have the collective culture and
track record to be confident that we can navigate toward a positive
synergy between the two foundations.

Re: "The Eclipse Public License (EPL) is the default OSI approved
license used at Eclipse":
Is this negotiable? I expect this will be difficult hurdle to cross for
many projects, mainly due to the inherited dependencies of underlying
libraries, and the number of contributors which will need to be
contacted in order to facilitate such a change.

Re: Processes, Policies and Periodic releases:
I see this as as an area which OSGeo can gain from Eclipse. Processes
which enable consistent quality control, along with predictable release
cycles are important factors in software being considered by large risk
adverse agencies and projects, as well as many other sections of the
purchasing community as well.
OSGeo does have an incubation process which is a once off process
projects go through. We also have the OSGeo-Live DVD periodic release
cycle. I think it would be valuable to see how we can align these
existing processes with what Eclipse can offer in this regard.
And I think this formula from Eclipse is well worth considering as
Eclipse has a track record to show that by following their formula, we
should be able to take OSGeo projects to a higher level of uptake, and
financial gain for the community.

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050