Fw: [Board] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Defining an OSGeo Ambassador role

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed May 16 06:25:37 PDT 2012

I'd like to add that regular and charter members are invited and
strongly encouraged to join the various committees of the foundation if
they want to play a stronger role. Note that joining a committee and
making a difference implies that you need to get your hands dirty and do
some work since actions are stronger than words. This is how meritocracy
works.

If you want to have a say in the definition of the OSGeo Ambassador role
then join the Marketing committee. If you wan to change the way we
manage our service infrastructure join SAC, if you want to put your two
cents in the finances join the finance committee, if you want to
influence the way we deal with new projects join the incubator
committee, etc.

Those committees have been in place since the inception of OSGeo and
those who have put their time and energy into them are those who have
had the most influence on what OSGeo is today. This is the way things
work today and is stronger than any new roles we might want to assign to
charter members.

My 0.02$

Daniel

On 12-05-16 9:16 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> One of the board members has regular objections to making the Charter
> Members have a stronger role in OSGeo. I did not understand the
> rationale and had to ask. The answer is straight forward purely based
> on community considerations: By making Charter Member roles more
> important we alienate / reduce the role of the "regular member" which
> is something we always strive to avoid (being broadly open, etc.).
>
> So instead of increasing the role of the Charter Members we might
> rather want to strive for more involvement of all members (including
> Charter Members, ex Board Members, honorary members and whatever else
> we might come up with).
>
> Makes sense?
>
> Let's ask the other way round: What good would it do make the role of
> Charter Members (and ex boad members, etc.) stronger?
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> On 16.05.2012 12:12, Ravi Kumar wrote:
>>
>> ----- Forwarded Message ----- *From:* Ravi Kumar
>> <ravivundavalli48 at yahoo.com>  *To:* osgeo-discuss
>> <discuss-request at lists.osgeo.org>  *Sent:* Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:44
>> PM *Subject:* Re: [Board] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Defining an OSGeo
>> Ambassador role
>>
>> +1  Markus In due course, evolution of OSGeo will need more
>> participation from the Charter members. The charter members who are
>> expected to elect the board at the helm of OSGeo can be tapped for
>> more involvement. So are the ex-board members. Ravi

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/