[Board] Eclipse meeting report

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Fri May 25 12:05:17 PDT 2012

I’ve already replied to a few of these points elsewhere, so I’ll address only two of Nick’s points here.

First, Nick says

> For such important decisons, i think that it would may be worth making Charter members

> vote too, just like to get an major orientation decided by 120 people instead of only 8.

if I was proposing something like a change to OSGeo’s organizational structure or mission, then yes I’d want to talk about having the charter members vote on the issue. And yes, I’d originally I’d thought about a larger collaboration between OSGeo and Eclipse. But that’s not what I’m doing now.

My current proposal is deliberately quite conservative: I am only proposing we proactively let our community know the Eclipse is interested in working with some of our projects, and if it an OSGeo project would like to pursue that then we should not get in their way at all. Please reread my proposed 3-point board motion.

Second, Nick also writes that

> Of course  as Michael said,OSGeo needs more fundings. But it also needs more active members,

> more interest and help to local chapters, more support to the projects, better marketing,

> somehow more democratic decisions, and may be more diversity at the board, as some

> recently pointed out i think. (number ? nationality ? gender ?...)

The board has always welcomed ideas from the community to address these important issues. If you have specifc proposals please let us know, and please consider running for the board yourself this year.

-mpg