[Board] IRS 501c3 Requirement: Dropping the Project Sponsorship program

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Nov 29 12:50:02 PST 2012

This is an FYI for the benefit of those who do not read the bard meeting
minutes in detail, one of the outcomes of our IRS 501c3 saga (i.e.
getting a non-profit legal status for OSGeo) is that our Project
Sponsorship [1][2] program is not an acceptable activity for a
(US-based) non-profit since it would essentially be competing with
for-profit software vendors with an unfair advantage and that's not allowed.

As a result of this, there has been a long discussion on this topic on
the board list considering the possible options and in the end it was
decided at the 2012-11-15 board meeting [3] to end/drop the project
sponsorship program in order to try to qualify as a pure 501c3
non-profit organization.

This is one of the changes that we will propose in our response to the
IRS which is being worked on here [4].

For the full details of this discussion, please see the board mailing
list archives and the board meeting minutes.

Daniel

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship
[2] http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2012-11-15