[Board] Executive Committee Proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 17 15:19:34 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 18/10/2012 8:41 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Cameron Shorter <
> cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  2. Lets expand the group of people involved in decision making to
>> include committee chairs. I think this needs more discussion. I'm wary of
>> introducing another level of decision making unless there are strong
>> reasons as to why the current system is not working.
>>

>  Folks,
>
>  OK, all feedback so far expresses concern with the addition
> of the marketing, incubation, sac and conference chairs to
> the executive committed, so I've removed that from the
> proposal while leaving in the ability of the executive committee
> to add members to itself at will.
>
>  Hopefully that will make the proposal less controversial.
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Executive_Committee_Terms_Of_Reference
>

> Frank, while I'm open to potentially progressing this motion at some
> point, I'm still not seeing the value of expanding the Exec Committee. In
> particular:
> 1. What is not working with the current process, or how would adding more
> people make the Exec Committee more effective?

Cameron,

Are you referring to the option for the committee to add members to itself?

The current process is problematic in the sense that it is hard for us to
make decisions quickly because we need quorum for board meetings (or every
last board member voting when doing it by email).

> 2. I'm very wary of providing a committee with the responsibility of
> delegating responsibility to a select person or group of people. It is
> fraught with danger of accusations of favourtism, or people's feelings
> being hurt for not being considered, or the board just accepting everyone
> because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

The board already has the right to delegate all sorts of things and
does so.

Is your concern that folks will want on the executive committee and
be offended/concerned when they aren't appointed to it?  I'm not
very clear how this is different than any other committee, PSC, etc
in OSGeo.

I also wouldn't particularly mind removing the clause about the
executive committee being able to extend itself but since we are
already proposing to delegate the authority of the board to it for
most purposes it would be able to do anything it wants to itself
anyways since it has the authority to rework it's terms of reference.

warmerdam at pobox.com