[Board] Questions from IRS vs our 501(c)(3) status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 10:23:26 PDT 2012

Daniel,

On preliminary review my impression is that the IRS's view of acceptable
activities for an education focused OSGeo is not going to be compatible
with our broader mission.  I am concerned that setting up a "for
profit" subsidiary is going to result in substantial additional legal and
accounting complexity - quite possibly exceeding the value to us.

It would be helpful to have some sense of:
 - the cost/complexity of setting up a "for profit" subsiduary.
 - the practicality and implications of us opting instead of 501(c)6
status.
 - the tax implications for us of failing to achieve any sort of 501(c)x
status. (ie. will we have a big back tax bill)

Note that the board has budgeted resources for legal and accounting support
and you should not hesitate to draw on professional support as needed.

Failing to achieve 501(c)3 status, I am also wondering if it might make
sense to consider some affiliation with an existing fiscal sponsor
organization like SPI (Software in the Public Interest) should we want to
be able to accept charitable contributions.  That doesn't need to be dealt
with now, but I do want to stress there may be alternate approaches to
having 501(c)3 status for narrow activities.

I couldn't help but noted that the optimistically described "advice and
suggestions" was somewhat light on broad advice and suggestions.

I greatly appreciate your work on this activity and the broader Treasurer
role.  In truth you would not have to do so much "digging out" if I hadn't
been so slack in my time in the role.

Best regards,
Frank

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com