[Board] Update on AGM/Sol Katz Award

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 13:39:58 PDT 2012

On 19/09/12 23:47, Andrea Aime wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Jeff McKenna
> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello fellow Board members,
>
>     Jáchym and I have reached out to Astrid and Arnulf to discuss the
>     possibility of hosting our AGM and the Sol Katz Award at Intergeo.
>     Although interested, it seems there might only be a handful of
>     OSGeo-ers
>     there, and it pretty much seems like a no-go.
>
>     I believe we should look at other options.
>
>     Good news is that there is lots of talk and nominations for the
>     Sol Katz
>     Award; that is going strong.
>
>     I am now thinking of a virtual announcement for the award, in early
>     October as we suggested.
>
>     As for the AGM, I am not sure, so I wanted to let you know here.
>

> Not sure if comments from people outside the board are
> permitted/welcomed on this list,
> but here we go and scold me if I did it wrong :-)
>
> FOSS4G-NA is surely quite a few months away, but closer than next
> FOSS4G... and
> should get a good amount of OSGeo-ers present. Just a thought :-p

Andrea, good to hear the suggestion. I think the key criteria for
handing out the 2012 Sol Katz award is that it be done in 2012. It would
help if we know which event(s) the yet to be selected winner will be
attending this year. It would be a bonus if they could receive the award
in person in front of an audience, at whatever event that may be.

So I suggest that once the winner is known, the winner is privately
approached by the Sol Katz committee and asked which event they think
would be appropriate.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager