[Board] OSGeo / IRS update

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Aug 9 07:12:14 PDT 2013

Hi board,

First, an interesting read about IRS and open source nonprofits that I
found on FrankW's Google+:

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/08/osdv/all/?mbid=social10524964

What is written there matches very well OSGeo's situation.

FYI I was on a call a few weeks ago with the IRS agent responsible for
the OSGeo application and our attorney, and while that was not obvious
to me at the time, reading this article made me understand some of the
questions and comments of the IRS agent, and I confirm that everything
in this article matches OSGeo's situation.

At some point during the call our attorney proposed a split of
activities between two organizations, one non-profit for the FOSS4G and
educational stuff and one for-profit for the rest (similar to what
Mozilla did), and the IRS agent agreed that this would likely be
approved. More on this soon, waiting on a formal report from our
attorney to share with the OSGeo board.

Daniel