[Board] Next meeting: 15th August, 3 UTC

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Aug 14 09:24:14 PDT 2013

Thank you for raising those very valid points Darrell.

I'd like to point out that making decisions on fiscal scenarios is
clearly out of my skills range, and outside of my area of interest.

As treasurer, I can take care of the usual budgetting and finances
tracking, and coordinate the work with the IRS to get our non-profit
status sorted out as I have been doing in the last 1-2 years, but I
don't think I am the right person to setup and evaluate fiscal scenarios
for FOSS4G.

I repeat my call for charter members knowledgeable and interested with
non-profit stuff of that kind to step up and join the board... it's
election time, the perfect time to speak up and I'll be happy to write a
nomination for you.

In the meantime, if someone wants to document a couple of scenarios I
can run them by our attorney to get his input/comments, but I am not
going to come up with those scenarios myself.

My understanding of the process is that the LOC comes up with a budget
for board approval, and then OSGeo would provide seed money to the LOC
to help kick start things based on this budget (in the order of up to
20-40k$). Then a rep of the board is assinged on the LOC and keeps an
eye on things and reports to the board for the rest of the conference
planning. With respect to signatures, I would think that using a PCO or
separate org to manage the money should take care of that, once OSGeo
has signed a contract with that PCO or other entity.

Perhaps those who ran past US-based FOSS4G's can step in and comment on
the way things were done in the past and the best way forward?

Thanks all for your help

Daniel

P.S. Not dropping the ball, just pointing out that we are hitting the
limits of what a volunteer board can do.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/