[Board] Getting the organization for 2014 settled

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Aug 27 11:08:52 PDT 2013

On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused, you have $30K in the budget for a professional
> conference organizer, they should be able to be the bank, and signer
> of contracts, with the possible exception of the venue, which could be
> handled as a one-off using Daniel or Jeff as the signer for OSGeo. Who
> is your professional organizing company?

The intention was to hire someone as a contractor, not as a company (paid via 1099 in US-speak). Hence no company to sign contracts.

If OSGeo is going to require a third-party to be used to sign contracts then that should be spelled out in the requirements. At best, hiring a PCO was strongly suggested, but with no suggestion of what that arrangement should/must look like.

Better than that would be that OSGeo has on ongoing contract with a company to handle these arrangements. If we're going to do the conference every year, then having consistency is much better than re-inventing the wheel each time. It's probably cheaper, too.

Darrell