[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] Getting the organization for 2014 settled

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Aug 27 11:53:55 PDT 2013

>  Secondly, the LOC doesn't really have just 12 months to organise dates and such- we certainly asked for dates at our venue to be tentatively held during the bidding process with the understanding that if we didn't win, they would be released. When we got the happy news that we'd won, we simply had to confirm we wanted to secure the dates.

We did that as well, but the RFP went out in April, which is still just 15 months of organization time. And while it's great to hold a venue for three months and then wait to do the other organization stuff, I still don't think that 13 months is enough time for reasons beyond just selecting a venue.

Even when we started working on our bid, the folks we worked with at venues were surprised we were trying to book a conference of this size this late, and also surprised that space was available. It's not unusual to book a conference this size three years out, even four. Two should be a bare minimum.

Darrell