[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Elections starting tomorrow

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Jul 9 07:12:38 PDT 2013

Adrian,
thanks for asking.

The election period itself is not the best point in time to actually
*change* anything. So I suggest to keep things as they are for now.
But I have just started the talk page where we can add points which we
think need to be changed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category_talk:Elections

The other problem might be that nobody sees an immediate need to
change anything / feels responsible for these aspects of the
Foundation. *During* the elections sometimes things pop up (as your
mail and Venka's last year) but there is no follow-up process.

Our job as CROs (Michael and me) is to run the elections, not to clean
up the process.

I'll try to summarize how I see things right now:

Reality:
Charter Membership is a very low key role. Their only responsibility
is to elect new individuals into Charter Membership and elect the
board of directors. As such the Charter Members never have had a
meeting and there is no roll call except that we monitor who has voted
in the charter and board elections. Members who fail to take part in
two elections in a row become inactive and drop out. Any time they
take part in an election makes them become active again. It has so far
never happened that a member had to be excluded and I am not seeing it
happen. But it may well be necessary to have something like this in
place (is what every lawyer tells us) for example if somebody severely
damages the reputation of the organization, etc.

By Laws:
The bylaws as published at
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html are
based on standard Delaware law for non-profit organizations and
originate from the very first days of the Foundation when we still had
corporate funding from Autdoesk and Rich Steele acted as our lawyer. I
don't think that they are very relevant to how things are run at the
foundation and it may be time to amend them to reflect how we really
operate. The reality here is that lacking a lawyer and not seeing an
immediate need for change things just stay as they are.

You probably refer to clause 7.7 Automatic Termination (not 7.4). Our
 current interpretation is that we move Charter Members to a dormant
status if they fail to vote in three consecutive elections. The CRO
makes sure the information is recorded and passed on to the OSGeo
secretary who maintains the list.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Arnulf.