[Board] Funding for OSGeo President to attend global FOSS4G

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:00:14 PDT 2013

Peter, I'm in favor of the principle, but would like to broaden the
discussion before voting.

1. First, I suggest that the global FOSS4G should cover the travel
expenses of one OSGeo board member to attend the conference to speak on
behalf of OSGeo, defaulting to the OSGeo president in most cases.

2. The OSGeo Advocate page has a guide for expenses here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Expenses
This includes a speakers fee (to cover loss of wages), which can be
waived. I suggest that the global FOSS4G conference should cover travel
and expenses, but not this speakers fee. My reasoning is that I think it
improves the reputation of the board's integrity if we are not perceived
to be doing the job as a money making exercise.

3. As Jeff has already volunteered to do for this conference, I think
that there should be an expectation upon the paid OSGeo delegate to
coordinate the OSGeo booth and marketing at the conference.

On 15/07/2013 5:55 AM, Peter Batty wrote:
> Dear Board,
>
> I (and the Nottingham LOC) just recently found out that Jeff was not
> going to be able to make it to FOSS4G Nottingham because of lack of
> funding. Steven and the LOC would really like to have Jeff there, and
> I would too. While I support the growth of regional events, I think
> there's something special about the global event and I think it's
> important for OSGeo that our President is there.
>
> We have talked to Jeff and he has indicated that he will be able to
> attend if his expenses are covered. The LOC has budget for funding
> keynote speakers as needed, and could just go ahead and fund Jeff's
> attendance from that, which is a fallback option.
>
> However, I'm raising this with the board as I think we should
> establish a principle that OSGeo should pay the President's expenses
> to go to the annual global conference every year (unless he or she is
> in a position to fund travel by other means). I think this is a very
> reasonable thing to do - like I said, I really think it's important
> for the Foundation that the President should be there each year. But
> it's not reasonable to expect whoever is President to fund that from
> their own pocket. I was opposed to automatically funding the whole
> board to go, just because that becomes a significantly larger expense
> for OSGeo and quite a number of board members, myself included, work
> for larger companies who are willing to fund them to attend. And while
> it's good to have a reasonable number of board members there, I don't
> think it's critical to the event to have all board members in
> attendance. But I do think it's really important for the President to
> be there.
>
> Financially of course, it would ultimately amount to the same thing
> for OSGeo whether the LOC just approves the expense or whether the
> board approves this. But I think we should agree to do it on an
> ongoing basis.
>
> Procedurally I don't know if I should propose this as a motion at the
> next board meeting, or whether we can just have a vote via email. Just
> in case, I propose a tentative motion:
>
> OSGeo will refund reasonable travel and living expenses for the OSGeo
> President to attend the global FOSS4G conference each year. The
> President has the option of declining this funding if he or she can
> obtain funding from another source.
>
> Please let me know what you think.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter.

Cameron Shorter
Software and Data Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com