[Board] Important MOTIONS (combined)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 05:17:51 PDT 2013

On 26/07/13 21:49, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Board,
>
> We have two extremely time sensitive motions on the table, in two
> separate threads.  This will combine them here.
>
> MOTIONS
> -------
>
> I, Arnulf Christl, motion to accept all 37 nominees into Charter
> Membership and
> override the decision taken in the last board meeting.
>
> +1 jeff
-0 Cameron.
I'm concerned that we are bordering on breaking article 7.1 of our
bylaws [1] by avoiding charter member voting for new members:

"... Proposed members shall be admitted upon the affirmative vote of the
members of the corporation."

I'm also concerned about the precedent that we are setting, which if
taken to the extreme will result in charter membership being given to
anyone who asks for it, which in turn devalues the status of charter
membership. (I note that we have an "OSGeo Advocate" status which anyone
can self subscribe to).

I acknowledge the reasoning and validity of the counter viewpoint. I'd
like to hear thoughts of other board members, and don't want to see my
vote as blocking majority feeling of the board.

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

> I, Jeff McKenna, motion to follow a custom voting procedure[1] by the
> Board, in order
> to decide the tie breaker for the hosting location of the FOSS4G 2014 event.
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2014_Bid_Process_Board_Voting
>
> +1 jeff
+0
I'm uncomfortable with the wording stating Mark Lucus cannot vote. I was
hoping to hear thoughts from Mark before suggesting alternative words,
or committing my vote.