[Board] Application for a sponsorship by OSGeo to 4th GRASS Community Sprint

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 06:21:04 PDT 2013

Dear Board,

I would like to apply for a sponsorship by OSGeo for the upcoming 4th GRASS
Community Sprint [1]. Following the guidelines [2], I provide the following
information:

*Basic Information*

   - Audience: how many people are expected? ~20 people
   - Region: is the sprint localized to a specific region? It's a global
   event
   - Projects: is the sprint to work on just one specific project, or is it
   for multiple projects? Developers and contributors are committed to be
   working for improving the GRASS GIS project and the interfaces to QGIS,
   GDAL, PostGIS, R statistics, Sextante, gvSIG, OGC Services (esp. WPS) and
   more.
   - Length: how many days will the sprint cover? 7 (12-18 July 2013)
   - Venue: where will the sprint be held? will food be provided? will
   overnight lodging be provided? The sprint is following the Geoinformatics
   conference, 11-12 July 2013, Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech
   Republic. With the sponsors' donations we will try to cover some expenses
   for meals and accommodation.

*Expected Expenses*

   - what is the expected cost per attendee, for travel, lodging, and food?
   Travel costs really depend on the travel distance, we expect participants
   mainly from Europe. For accommodation and costs, please refer to [3]. For
   general info about common items and food prices, please see [4]
   - what is the expected cost for the venue (such as conference room, wifi
   support, snacks, etc)? In average the overall cost of GRASS community
   sprints has been kept very low, the venue is kindly offered by the Czech
   Technical University of Prague. Snacks and drinks are to be provided by
   sponsorship.

*Expected Revenues*

   - what is the expected registration fee, if any, for each attendee? No
   registration fees
   - what is the expected amount of third-party sponsorships? The previous
   GRASS community sprint gathered 780 eur from third parties sponsorship, as
   documented in [5]
   - what in-kind donations are expected (such as donated use of a
   conference room)? Conference room.
   - what is the desired amount of OSGeo sponsorship? 750 USD

*Profit / Loss / Risk*

   - What is the expected profit of the event, if any? where will any
   surplus money go? There is no expected profit. We don't expect any surplus,
   but if any, it will be kept for a future GRASS community sprint.
   - Under what circumstances might the event incur a loss? how will this
   risk be mitigated? In the case that sponsors' donations would be low, the
   remaining costs will be covered by the participants.

Thank you and best regards.

[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2013
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
[3]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2013#Accommodation_and_Costs
[4]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2013#Weather_and_Common_Item_Prices
[5]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Genova_2013#Thanks_to_our_sponsors

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.