[Board] Subject: [General Info] GeoServices REST API

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 11 18:14:40 PDT 2013

Brett,

We don't have any particular plan at this time, but do hope we continue to
contribute to the discussion around this and other OGC standards.  I
imagine future steps will depend in part on what the working group brings
forward and to what extent it addresses some of the concerns raised
previously.

I would like to stress that we are trying to be a constructive contributor
to the OGC standards process and that ultimately decisions fall to the OGC
Technical Committee.  We believe that OGC standards are a critical
component of the geospatial world and that they are also key enablers
allowing our projects and community to participate in the geospatial
ecosystem on an even and productive footing.

As an aside, I'm very pleased to see the geospatial community and it's
standards process discussed in the broader IT trade press, and for the most
part I'm impressed with the accuracy and perceptiveness of your article.
 However, I do feel you and others have over-emphasized the role of the
open source community.  There are many members of OGC who have had similar
concerns about the GeoServices REST API since the inception of the working
group.  The recent peak of tumult is a result of things coming to the
broader OGC decision body (TC) and there were many voices and concerns.

I am currently speaking as just one member of the OSGeo board.  Official
OSGeo positions are only taken after consultation among the board, the
membership and the broader community.

Best regards,
Frank Warmerdam

warmerdam at pobox.com