[Board] US 501(c)3 in the News

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 27 05:41:56 PDT 2013

On 13-06-27 8:26 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM,  <maplabs at light42.com> wrote:
>> http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/06/irs-wasnt-fond-of-open-source-either.html
>
> see also:
> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/06/irs-open-sourc/
> "IRS Puts Open Source Projects Under Microscope, Spawns Nonprofit Black Hole"
>
> (mentioning OSGeo)

FYI I was also contacted by this journalist yesterday night but failed
to respond in time. I'm glad that Tyler did respond and he could use
that info.

For those interested in our 501(c)3 application status, the latest news
is that an IRS agent got back in touch with us last fall (September
2012) with a set of questions to which we responded in December, all the
details are at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/501c3_Application:_Questions_from_IRS,_September_2012

Then not much happened since December other than providing the missing
financials a few months ago. Coincidentally (or not), the IRS agent and
our attorney spoke last week and we have a teleconf setup for later in
July between myself, the IRS people and our attorney to discuss our
application and answer some questions... maybe there's hope, fingers
crossed...

Daniel (OSGeo Treasurer)