[Board] Writing up OSGeo priorities

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 01:39:23 PST 2013

Hi,

I have similar relationship to both, osgeo4w and osgeo-live projects,
that means, I do not use them extensively, but I know about them and I'm
glad, they are at hand (and working), when ever I need them (< 1× per year).

To me, important OSGeo-live distribution is not the disc  itself, but
the iso image, which can be used at any operating system together with
some virtual machine interface, when organizing workshops. Then you have
guaranteed uniform platform, where you can be sure, everything works.

OSGeo4W is important distribution channel for "our products" and since
most of GIS software users on any platform are GIS software "users" and
not "hackers", it is important to provide easy way to install and setup
the software on Windows platform as well.

Having said that, I think, that OSGeo-live and OSGeo4W are projects of
similar impact and importance to me. If I should make decision which
would lead to support one over another, I would prefer some balanced way.

I do not assume, we will have to make some kind of the decision (support
one xor other) in the future. It is clear, that everything depends on
the community, on their needs and activity as well. I just wanted to
express my feelings about this.

During the hangout, OSGeo4W was forgotten a bit and I think, it is
important and successful part of OSGeo community environment (or, seems
to be here from the outside world).

Jachym