[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] Free Developer Slots at FOSS4G events

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 02:05:24 PST 2013

Paolo,
As a past FOSS4G organisor, I'd like to echo the logic of Steven Feldman
and the rest of the FOSS4G 2013 committee.

The time to discuss give-aways for foss4g 2013 was when the budget was
being discussed, because if you give some people a free pass, you need
to charge others more. This time has passed.

If you wish to influence the direction of future foss4g events, probably
the best way to do so is get involved in the organising of the
conference, or maybe help write a foss4g-cookbook (which has been
discussed for a while, but is yet to materialise).

Personally, I think Bruce Bannerman described well the challenges of
providing a fair funding policy which everyone is happy with, and which
will attract attendees. (Paolo, your ideals are worthy, but practical
implementation is a mind field of dissatisfied attendees).