[Board] 2013 Budget approval

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 05:01:18 PDT 2013

On 14/03/13 03:00, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Daniel Morissette
> <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
>> In an email earlier this week Cameron suggested 5k$ for "other professional
>> services" (currently 0), and 5k$ for "other sponsorship opportunities".
>> There were no comments on his suggestion so I had not added those amounts to
>> the draft budget yet.
>>
>> I do agree with Cameron's suggestions so if there are no objections I'd like
>> to add those two amounts before we vote. (Or feel free to add them Jeff
>> since I will be offline for a few hours)
> Daniel / Cameron,
>
> What is "other professional services" expected to include beyond
> the professional services for accounting, tax preparation and 501(c)3
> we have already accounted for?
Daniel, you would be best to expand on this?

Frank, my feeling is that it is wise to have spare budget available for
unforeseen expenses. This doesn't need to be used if such unforeseen
expenses don't eventuate.

> I do not foresee all GSoC projects/mentors requesting their resources
> to go support code sprints, and so do not see the direct need for this
> line item to be all the GSoC money.
Anne, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this?

> I'm not clear on why "Board travel (case by case)" is meant
> to represent.  Is this OSGeo representatives travelling to speak
> on our behalf for strategically important events?  Essentially what
> we used to refer to as "OSGeo Ambassador" expenses?  If so,
> I object to calling it "board travel" but not to the line item.  I'd
> prefer it be something like "strategic travel" - my point being that
> it is not limited to board members.
I've updated the line item in the wiki to:

Strategic travel (case by case) : For example, to send an OSGeo Advocate
(such as a board member) to negotiate on behalf of OSGeo at the founding
of the LocationTech foundation. (This typically doesn't extend to
sponsorship of OSGeo speakers at conferences).

> Sorry for not speaking up sooner.

All OSGeo board members,
I realise that we are all volunteers, but I'm hopeful that we can commit
to turning around decisions quickly and efficiently, preferably within 2
working days, and in most cases within 1 working day.

For this thread, we are still waiting on votes or comments from many of us.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally