[Board] FOSS4G Brand?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Nov 21 15:44:17 PST 2013

Answer is Venka, who coined the phrase/ideology for the 2004 Bangkok
event under the FOSS4G name. If you expand that a little, I would say it
includes Venka, Markus Neteler and myself, who decided to merge
communities to create the annual FOSS4G event.

But we all do follow the beliefs of Venka set back in 2004: anyone can
use the FOSS4G brand as long as it promotes Open Source geospatial.

I just returned from FOSS4G Tokyo, Osaka, and Korea, and Venka was there
for all of them.  Although maybe not so known on the NA/Europe part of
the world, Venka is a true leader and very respected in Asia.  We must
indeed follow his vision and respect his FOSS4G beliefs (which long ago
became mine as well).

Any further discussion/decisions should/must involve Venka's input.

-jeff