[Board] Privacy (was: Re: global distribution of members)

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Oct 22 02:59:31 PDT 2013

Jachym,
you should have all the information we have on our Charter members now,
right? Let me know if you need anything else. "My" list is no different
from Michael's data.

Board,
before charging ahead and geocoding Charter Member addresses (we don't
have them all!) and putting them on a map we have to make sure that all
of us agree with having our locations displayed. In many legislations
the home location of a person is considered private data. In order to be
allowed to publish this private data (at least in Germany) we need a
record of that person's consent. This could be a check box on our system
that defaults to "not allowed" and can be changed to "yeah, go ahead" by
the user herself. As yet we do not have anything like that. Maybe it is
time that we did?

If we did we will need a privacy policy. We maintain lists with email
addresses, store private data, contracts, signatures, sometimes send
unencrypted passwords via email, etc. All things touching privacy. I
hate to say it but it will prove largely impossible - which is why we
probably still don't have one. These things tend to cancerous growth and
at some point end up as a plethora of contradicting terms of services,
contracts and privacy policies. Just check Google/Bing/Yahoo et. al.
Most people TL;DR.

Due to legal complexity (and certainly now this email itself turns TL;DR
now) it is impossible to satisfy all legislations and still come up with
a readable document. There is no silver bullet (if there is please let
me know).

In my experience location is not well defined in any legislation anyway.
What level of location precision requires the consent of the user?
Country level, county, district, city, quarter, street, floor,
apartment? Location in WGS 84 degrees with what decimal precision? What
about our web server logs? In some cases the user IP can be traced to a
home location, in association with the Wiki account of the user even
this becomes private data. Ho do we make sure that no "unauthorized"
person can access this data? Nil return.

These questions are unanswered but should be addressed by someone.
Regarding location this might even be a business model for OSGeo.
Besides OSGeo it might be interesting for the OGC, ISO and it certainly
is for OpenStreetMap. Folks like Google/Bing/Here have money to spend on
this, making this not only a painful volunteer thing but a potentially
sponsored endeavor, probably even pretty easily. Anybody interested?

Then - back to our CM locations: Which of Markus' locations would you
publish? I have him listed as "German" but he already lives and works in
Italy for years (a decade?). Volker lives in Germany but works for a US
company. Daniel in German but lives in Japan most of the time. I live in
Germany but currently work for the UN Habitat in Nairobi.

So its not as easy as it first looks which made me not publish the
location as a WMS layer at all, although it is tempting and technically
dead simple but OMG - the implications.

Cheers,
Arnulf