[Board] LocationTech meeting October 2013 - short report

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 01:09:13 PDT 2013

I agree with Jody, the merge is not a possibility now, while single
projects can belong to both organisations. For sure we can join forces
on specific activities, like organising events.
I am not sure I like the idea of a merge - OSGeo has a darn good mandate: support the collaborative development of open source geospatial software, and promote its widespread use!

I would rather we hang out and support spatial projects where ever we find them (Eclipse, Apache SFS, KDE, etc...). Each one of those groups narrows its focus based on ideology - we are not so constrained - giving us an opportunity to do a lot of good.

One thing we could do, to encourage projects to belong to both, is recognise foundations we trust[1].  A formal IP review done by the Eclipse Foundation could easily cover the "code review" requirement for potential OSGeo projects.

However our incubation process is much stricter in a few senses then the Eclipse Foundation one, we try and check a projects viability (committers from more than one organisation, evidence of user and developer community collaborating on QA). So I would not be surprised of viable LocationTech projects, like JTS, not being able to pass OSGeo Incubation.

--

Jody

[1] As an example Eclipse "trusts" Apache Foundation, so if you go to use an Apache project, it immediately gets a thumbs up form their IP department.