[Board] OSGeo received its 501(c)(4) tax exempt status from the IRS

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 13:43:49 PDT 2013

This is huge news, and a credit to Daniel for his dedication. I suggest
we put out a press release on the topic.

  Jeff, did you start up a wiki location for collaboratively editing
press releases?

I suggest the release should cover:

=OSGeo has been granted Non-Profit status=

After a seven year application period, the OSGeo Foundation has been
granted 501(c)(4) text exempt status from the United States Internal
Revenue Service (IRS)! This status has been retroactively applied back
to the founding of the the OSGeo-Foundation, which means we are not due
for a retrospective tax bill.

The 501(c)(4) status is slightly different to the 501(c)(6) status that
OSGeo originally applied for which was rejected. The main differences
are ...

This means that OSGeo can do: ...

A huge thanks goes to Daniel Morissette (and ...) who have been the main
drivers behind pushing this through.