[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 23 16:57:10 PDT 2013

On 13-09-23 11:08 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
> I see two possibilities here:
> * osgeo4w is an official foundation project, and as such it does not
> need to apply for incubation (it would be circular reasoning); in this
> case the PSC should be appointed by the foundation, or
> * it is an independent project, thus following the usual procedure; in
> this case, better not to use the osgeo4w name and logo, and let the
> devs self organize.
> Thoughts?

Hi Paolo,

Even the founding projects of OSGeo (MapServer, GRASS, MapGuide, etc.)
did go through incubation, so I think OSGeo4W should go through the same
path. Since it is already handled by people who know "the OSGeo way" it
will simply be faster and mostly a matter of running it agains the
checklist. If its incubation can be completed in a few weeks then that's
just better.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette