[Board] Added "OSGeo Charter Responsibilities"

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Aug 18 06:46:47 PDT 2014

Hi Venka,

I too have several thoughts on the Charter Member election process from
this year, I just wasn't sure if I should wait to explain them until
after the Board election, or in person in Portland to the tribe, at the
AGM there, or....   but anyway you have brought up good points and I
will respond.

Jorge did amazing work on setting up an electronic voting system, that
obviously we will use from now on.  Thanks so much to Jorge for being
the champion.

What I noticed in this year's Charter Member election was that:

- we had some very poor nominations (maybe a one sentence intro, and no
link to an OSGeo wiki page for addition info)

- the new rules to be accepted of "more YES votes than NO votes, as well
as greater than 5% of charter members who voted" (which I can't even
find on our Elections wiki page now, I had to find the initial email),
from looking at the results did in fact lower the bar too low (every
nomination, poor to good, was accepted).

I think we tried to improve the selection process, but we made it a
little too easy to become a Charter Member.  I wonder, if that "5%"
number was changed to something like "51%", how our results would have
been this year?  I am not sure, but I do wonder.

I am very appreciative of having 64 new Charter Members this year, for
an amazing pool of 244 Charter Members now in total.  But I think the
community should work with the CRO and the OSGeo Board to tweak this new
process for the 2015 Charter Member election.

-jeff