[Board] OSGeo membership in GLTN

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu Feb 6 09:56:46 PST 2014

Daniel,
thanks for pointing this out. I tried to make my introduction as short
as possible which in turn makes it incomplete. :-) The basic idea is
that GLTN is a formal relationship which allows to transfer funds. Put
the other way round UN-Habitat can currently not sponsor anything
OSGeo. Simple as that. But once there is a formal relationship like
this membership, then there are options. This is not software
development but just like you were saying could be around code
sprints, workshops, but also to fund individuals to come to
conferences and meetings.

One example is the upcoming FIG conference in Kuala Lumpur where OSGeo
was invited to give a presentation but there was no option to waive
the fees. Through the GLTN membership there are options to reimburse
travel and lodging expenses. This could be done directly through the
individuals or through OSGeo, whichever way the respective fiscal
systems require. We will have to learn how this works once we are there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 02/06/2014 04:47 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Arnulf, All,
>
> I am fine with the proposal and Cameron's proposed changes.
>
> Just one quick reminder as treasurer, in your initial mail you
> wrote "Joining this partnership will allow partners to fund
> individuals through OSGeo to join forces on the project,
> collaborate on the software, take part in meetings, conferences,
> workshops, etc."
>
> I have to remind you all that our US non-profit status does not
> allow us to "fund individuals through OSGeo" to work on software
> projects as that would be unfair competition to private sector
> companies. However, as long as OSGeo doesn't pay for their work, we
> can still provide tools (like the hosted services you mention) or a
> venue (think: host a code sprint) to facilitate collaboration
> between participants who each get their own funding/salary directly
> from other sources.
>
> The letter didn't talk about funding at all, so there is nothing
> to change there. This is just a friendly reminder.
>
> Daniel
>

> On 14-02-04 5:19 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote: Hi Cameron, thank you
> for the quick reply and support. I changed the document according
> to your suggestions, find it attached (sorry for spamming your
> respective inboxes).
>
> Best regards, Arnulf

The toolset includes a plug-in for QGIS and a data schema for