[Board] OSGeo and Code for Resilience

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 11:05:00 PST 2014

Hi Anne,
As I understand it, you are suggesting OSGeo support in the form of:
1. Lending the OSGeo name (which is already happening)
2. Inviting OSGeo Volunteers to participate (including yourself)
3. No financial commitment required.

I'm +1 to such a proposal based on it fitting within OSGeo principles.

On 25/01/14 02:51, Anne Ghisla wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> today I had a conf call with Adele Waugaman (in CC), from the GFDRR unit
> of the World Bank, about OSGeo participation to Code for Resilience
> initiative:
>
> http://codeforresilience.org/
>
> The initiative is partnering local technologists with disaster risk
> management (DRM) experts to strengthen community resilience to natural
> disasters through the creation of civic-minded digital and hardware
> solutions.
> See more here:
> http://codeforresilience.org/page/about
>
> OSGeo Japan is already an active part of C4R, and is organising 3
> hackatons. Therefore, OSGeo logo is present among the Supporting
> partners.
>
> OSGeo international is invited to participate as well: developers and
> contributors can take part to local events, and/or participate to the
> third part of the initiative, namely the Online innovation challenge.
> C4R organisers look for mentors from various domains (web, app
> development..) - people who can guide development and provide
> expertise. Detailed information on mentor role and registration will be
> provided soon.
>
> My opinion is that Code for Resilience is an initiative that we can
> support as OSGeo international. I am willing to post news on
> communication channels, and invite members to join, especially as
> mentors.
>
> If there are no objections, I wish to confirm OSGeo international
> participation to the initiative.
> I will keep in touch with Adele and be the contact for OSGeo
> international, as well as the reference for OSGeo members who look for
> more info on the initiative.
>
> All the best,
>
> Anne

Cameron Shorter,