[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Users Charter

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 15 05:44:37 PDT 2014

Hi Steven,

I see no problem with putting a "How to be a good OSGeo Citizen" in the
wiki, that could be a great way to evolve the document by drawing from
ideas of multiple people on this topic.

The reason for the "I'm not sure" in my previous email was mostly that I
feel that getting consensus in the community about making this a formal
statement of OSGeo could be complicated because there may be differing
views when we get on that kind of topics (encouraging return from users
vs letting the code be fully free of any expectations).

So my point was simply that I do agree with you on trying to encourage
users to return something for the long term viability of the software
they use, and short of getting consensus in the community to publish the
"perfect" statement which could be tough, if more articles like yours
are spread around then the message may be even stronger than a formal
statement from OSGeo and require less efforts.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201