[Board] Board meeting 2014-07-17: Motions

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Sat Jul 19 07:38:14 PDT 2014

Hi Daniel and all,
please forgive me if I wasn’t clear.

I have troubles with the confirmation of votes that occur through email after each OSGeo Board meetings.
If we take a look at the 2 last votes we had to confirm, we may probably notice that there is something which is not functioning here.
I think that it may be difficult to have a better illustration about this issue in fact.

For the first one, the meting occurred long time before we can confirme our votes.
In fact, in this case it was so much late that the actions was already taken (« motion: Cameron draft a proposed voting process […] »).
So, I feel that this vote has no value as actions was already done.
Why voting on something when this something already happened ? (note that this was said in my votes at that time, I thought it was enough to understand)

I guess that for this first example it is now clear, in case I was still not enough clear, please let me know...

The second example was the last board meeting, we took decision during the OSGeo Board meeting to have the CM and BM election starting the day after.
I think it is illustrating the exact same thing, that is why I tried to use my privilege to vote -1 on a motion. This should mean veto right.
Then, why the action was taken before the confirmation of the vote.

I would like to insist here on the fact that there is no issue at all about anybody here but only about this vote confirmations !
So please let start discussing on this topic and I hope you can make me change my mind.

Anyway, I would also like to point that I do not understand that charter members can be elected before the board members, indeed this means that the new charter member can become board member the same year and can vote also for the next Board. On the other hand, if we try a basic comparison with French country for instance, the citizens have to wait for certain age for being able to vote. I do not ask to force anybody to wait for 18 years at is in France but at least one year sounds fair enough. So, I think it makes sense that the Board Members are first elected then Charter Member are.

So to conclude and not bothering anybody with the long email with my poor english level.
I would still like to say that it was some kind of a veto initially but as the vote already started how can we stop it now.
There is no way to stop it now which is unfortunate.

Sincerely dedicated to my task,
Best regards,