[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] On the creation of permanent OSGeo/FOSS4G CRM

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 05:42:16 PDT 2014

Hmmmm

I don’t agree that what we received from the Denver team or the records that we handed over to the Portland team are a “complete fucking disaster”.

Yes a spreadsheet of sponsorship prospects may not be as robust as a CRM but it was very flexible. We updated the spreadsheet with the 2013 sponsorship outcomes and identified all the dead mails etc from the old list. Many of the names on that list were probably inherited from old lists prior to 2011 and were of little use, inevitably lists get out of date. You don’t get sponsorship from massive mailing lists, it comes through a combination of personal contacts, advertising and social media promotion, a good dose of serendipity and a lot of effort. A CRM may sound like a useful tool but I doubt it will make much difference in securing sponsors.

Building a CRM database of all the delegates who attend a FOSS4G may have more value in terms of communication with delegates although we found a spreadsheet that was extracted from our booking system to be adequate for our weekly comms with delegates.

If we create a CRM it will need a lot of management to keep records up to date and to ensure that people have opt out options etc. and for us EU people we will need to jump through several data privacy hoops before we can import old data into a system and start mailing people.

Incidentally we put our sponsorship targets and delegates spreadsheets into Google Docs, easy to use, multi user accessible and free (yup I know it’s not open source but it worked well for us) in the planning, marketing and though out the event.

My 2 cents
______
Steven