[Board] incubation and risk

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 2 12:48:13 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Markus that sounds like a license compatibility check, not specifically
> checking for patents as Jachym was asking about?

I think both as far as we are aware of it.
A classical example is the LZW compression which was also used in
older GRASS but before it became patented along with a special permit
to use in GRASS (hence not compliant with a future GPL). I don't
recall the details now.
So, our code vetting also included some issues like this. Patents are
IMHO complicated, filed where, still valid, etc. Not my core business
:-)

Markus