[Board] Treasurer update - September 2014

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 11 17:06:58 PDT 2014

OSGeo board and members,

As my term as OSGeo treasurer is about to end, here is a quick update on
some key points regarding OSGeo finances. This is a copy of the
treasurer update that I delivered at the OSGeo 2014 AGM at FOSS4G 2014
on 2014-09-11.

Recent developments:
--------------------

- 501(c)4 nonprofit status: The hilight of the last year is clearly that
we finally got our 501(c)4 non-profit status approved by the IRS. The
saga finally ended this summer!  After getting a first positive decision
last year, we then received a revocation letter later in the fall for
having not filed IRS 990's for more than 3 years while we were waiting
for the IRS decision. We asked the IRS to review this decision, they did
and we finally got confirmation that they reversed this revocation and
everything is good now.

- Project Sponsorship Program: One impact of the 501(c)4 process is that
we were forced to stop the project sponsorship program as directly
funding coding/maintenance was considered unfair competition to private
companies by the IRS (GDAL and OpenLayers were the main ones using it).
However, organizing events such as FOSS4G and code sprints is perfectly
fine and fits with our mission. If we want to directly support project
development and maintenance with paid developers, we could do so using a
separate for-profit corporation. Other foundations such as Mozilla use
that model.

- The finances were in bad shape in 2011 3 years ago, but we are in
great shape today: OSGeo has rebuilt its financial reserves in the last
3 years thanks to exceptional surplus from FOSS4G Denver/2011, and
Nottingham/2013, as well as FOSS4G-NA Minneapolis that contributed 50%
of its surplus to OSGeo.

- My term as OSGeo board member ended with the last election in August,
but I am still the Treasurer until the board appoints a new treasurer,
quite likely at the next board meeting.

Short term actions:
-------------------

I may not have time to complete all the actions below before the end of
my term, but I will definitely continue to be around and offer my
assistance to the next treasurer to go through that:

- Finalize book keeping for 2012-2013 with Alan Strand (accountant). We
have records of everything on paper and in the DropBox folder (receipts,
invoices, payments, etc.). We "just" need an accountant to go through
that, enter it properly in QuickBooks and produce yearly reports, etc.
Alan is currently working on that and I am meeting with him on Saturday
(at the Code Sprint location) to sprint on that.

- File 990's with IRS for the 2011-2012-2013 fiscal years since none
were filed since 2006 while we were waiting on the IRS decision on the
nonprofit status. That's also on the agenda of my sprint with the
accountant this week.

- Put in place a smoother way to handle finances, possibly using an
external resource (Alan?), to make the transition easier for future
treasurers: book keeping, filings, quarterly financial reports, etc.

- Invoice sponsors for 2013-14. We have not invoiced sponsors while we
were waiting on resolution of our non-profit status from IRS since it
was not clear at the time if their contribution would be taxable, so I
preferred to wait. Now that the non-profit status is confirmed it's time
to get back on track with our sponsors.

- Prepare budget for 2015

Thoughts for the Future:
------------------------

Here are my *personal* thoughts on some future actions/directions that I
believe OSGeo should consider based on my experience on the board and as
treasurer. They are just thoughts and I will let the next board and
treasurer make the decision to act on them or not:

- switch to a US-based bank (the current Canadian bank is not the best
option any more for OSGeo as it is today)

- quarterly (or monthly) reports from the accountant and treasurer to
the board and the community

- consider paying people (even if just a few hours per month) for some
key tasks that volunteers cannot sustain in the long run
(accounting/book keeping, systems administration, conference/event
coordination, etc.)

- define a strategy to ensure a stable revenue source for the future: we
first need to agree/decide if our main revenue sources should be
sponsors, membership, or FOSS4G, and then plan accordingly by making
sure we assign enough resources to sustain that revenue stream. (e.g. at
the moment there is nobody looking after our sponsors, so we are losing
some each year)

- I personally see FOSS4G as our main source of revenue and believe that
we should take steps to ensure continuity in the planning and management
of the event and facilitate the life of LOC's and avoid burning out a
new team each year. What form this takes can be discussed, but we
clearly need more than a lessons learned wiki page and volunteers doing
all the work.

--
Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201