[Board] Reviving the OSGeo Marketing Committee?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:44:19 PDT 2014

On 19/09/2014 7:09 am, Jeff McKenna wrote:

>> Yes, technically I [Cameron] was the last person in the chair role,
>> and still
>> occasionally officiate over requests for budget, but the marketing
>> committee is almost totally inactive. (The previous active members
>> are all
>> currently active in the OSGeo-Live community).
>
> Ok Cameron, do you have any suggestions on how to revive the Marketing
> Committee? It has become one of the most important needs/challenges
> lately, and it needs some love and direction. There are lots of young
> hungry talented people out there in the OSGeo community these days
> with a design sense, maybe we need to put out a call for volunteers,
> what do you think?

We have a few things to address in OSGeo marketing:
1. We don't have an efficient micro-payment system, for say paying
someone $100 to cover costs of printing a few fliers for a local foss4g
event. (I think each cheque costs $30 to write).

2. We need to revamp our wiki, probably throw away most existing
content, as it is too hard for anyone to work out what is/is not in
scope for marketing funding. We need to replace with clear guidelines
and priorities.

3. As highlighted at last foss4g, USB printers often are not competent
enough to print bootable USBs. (OSGeo-Live USBs are one of our key
marketing tools). So we probably need to find a trusted USB printer,
then get them to ship to worthy causes.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager