[Board] Motion on Open lidar letter

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 22 00:51:37 PDT 2015

> I do not enter in detail of your debate about media. I can just say that the
> board is slow because there is discussion on the form of the letter you
> prepared.
>
> At this point I officially make the motion to vote on beard official support
> of the letter on lidar standard as it is at
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter
>
> Maxi

Thanks Maxi for bringing the motion.

+1 Jorge

My reasoning:

I'm not comfortable on how this letter has been presented to this
board, without almost any chance to propose changes or refinements on
the wording. When the topic was brought to the board meeting people
were already signing it and it was not any more a draft. I'm not
comfortable also with the urge to pass this motion because of the
media. I know we are not the fastest committee in the world but nine
people spread over America and Europe need some time to discuss on
this matter, and also some patience and "nudges" from the community,
of course.

My guts feeling is that this board has been, (ugh language) dragged?
by the facts and we're suppose to lead, not be pulled. But as a friend
used to say: "power is not requested, it's always taken" so we the
board have a lesson to learn here.

Apart from that, I'm happy with the work done by Martin, Cameron and
Suchith. The letter is comprehensive and the wiki page is extensive
and full of information for anyone interested. It can be maybe too
"bold" but if it serves to raise a valid concern, totally aligned with
OSGeo mission, so I think it's worth the bruises we can get on the
path, hence my +1 to this motion.

Cheers

--
Jorge Sanz