[Board] GIS for the United Nations and the International Community Conference

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Apr 30 06:00:53 PDT 2015

Hi Madi,

Thank you for pointing to this event.

To be honest, this is a tough one to handle (likely why no one else
responded to you yet), but I definitely see your point.  Its audience is
supposed to be "The International Community", but it is invite only.
There are so many questionable items here.

The only point that I could make for their side, is that other than the
event title, it is clear that this event is for Esri "partners".  And
that this event seems to run every year (since 2012 it appears).

I'm not sure how to handle this one.  Maybe we can start a discussion
with the organizers/Esri, in hopes that for next year's event OSGeo can
be involved.  But the only way to contact the organizers appears to be
through exhibits(at)esri

I am hoping my response awakens other readers and those who are able to
share their thoughts.  Worst case scenario: we will discuss this item at
the next Board meeting (I've added it to the agenda).

Madi, not to change the subject on purpose, but while I am talking with
you here, I'd like you to consider joining the OSGeo Board.  I think
you'd be a great representative of the community.  (keep this in mind
for when the next Board elections begin)  Maybe we can chat about this
at FOSS4G-Europe.

-jeff