[Board] osgeo mail address

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Aug 21 12:05:06 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Massimiliano Cannata
<massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:
> That's all correct.
> But information is not easy to find and not all osgeo members are developers
> and are used with tickets.

I know that the information is not always that apparent.  That is why
locally in PDX-OSGeo and through email I try to let as many people
know as possible.  Hopefully these people learn and teach others.

As OSGeo expands beyond mostly developers into education, conferences,
users, etc, the processes should maybe be revised or greater efforts
to included everyone in the processes.

> Then is there an official procedure to pass or not a request? What are the
> evaluatio crita if any?

Not that I know of.  I think it is mostly the OSGeo do-ocracy way;
once a ticket is entered, if some SAC member thinks it is a reasonable
request, has time, access, skills, and desire to do it, then they do
it and close the ticket.  SAC operates as other OSGeo committees so I
guess if really needed, SAC would meet and vote but from what I've
seen, that is rarely needed.  I certainly don't see why that would be
needed for what appears to be a routine reasonable email alias
request.

Here are some email list creation guidelines which may be able to be
extrapolated to general SAC guidelines.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Mailing_Lists#Requesting_a_new_list

> My question is just to make it more clear and transparent to everybody.

Yes, hopefully many people will learn from this email exchange and
spread it to others.  Right now the default method is to contact Jeff
and have Jeff take care of everything.  That method works but isn't
really fair to Jeff or anyone who wants to request something.

Cheers, Eli