[Board] geoserver code sprint funding request

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:21:22 PST 2015

Jody,
While I have no doubt about the reasons that make this sponsorship
desirable from a community/developer point of view, my reluctance
stems from:

- AFAIK there has been no precedent where OSGeo has actually covered
airfare for these events.
- There is another code-sprint happening a few weeks later. Should
travel expenses for that event be covered by OSGeo?
- I understand you have deadlines that make the Paris code sprint date
too late. Too late for the corporate backers or for the community?
- Given the attendance distribution and location of the sprint, this
very much seems to me like a closed corporate event. I understand the
paid developer time is a significant investment, but I also do however
feel that this is asking OSGeo to step in to finance housekeeping
tasks that should be covered by the companies who are making money on
the more marketable developments going on.

My feelings for this:
- Use OSGeo to market the event and collect external sponsors, but
don't ask for that sponsorship directly to OSGeo
- In the longer run I am supportive of OSGeo sponsoring these kinds of
events. I just believe this here is the wrong event to be a starting
point for that.

Best regards,
Thomas