[Board] remaining meeting agenda items

Ian Edwards iedwards.pub at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:47:55 PST 2015

Hi Board

Picking up on the agenda item to redevelop the osgeo.org drupal instance,
I'd like to propose a motion that would give me the remit to lead the
migration away from the old drupal 5 site, and to attract new active
members to the committee.  I've been a member of webcom for several years.
I nearly led the redevelopment back in 2013 (see:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo.org_Web_Site_-_2016_Barn_Raising&action=history
), but at that time I didn't have the mandate, and also if we'd developed
in drupal 7 at that time we would have needed to rely on contributed
modules for multilingual support instead of being able to rely entirely on
drupal core.

Reviving webcom is the simplest option (because it already exists), and I
believe we can build a strong team that can continue to look after website
content long after the redevelopment (including getting interest in, and
managing, regular translation of content, like news items, into a host of
different languages).

I think webcom can play an important role in helping to attract sponsors to
OSGeo, especially as we draw more new and international users regularly to
the site, and that members can also take on some of the less technical
administrative tasks that SAC currently have to pick up (many volunteers
may be too intimidated to get involved with SAC if they are not very
technical).

Ian
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Ian