[Board] F2F Agenda - OSGeo Core Values

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Mon Dec 21 01:09:22 PST 2015

Dear All,

I think we need to discuss more specific agendas of January F2F meeting now.

I found that there was no core values at OSGeo statement[1] and I believe we need to develop core values[2] of OSGeo there at F2F meeting. As you know, the core values are the guiding principles that dictate behavior and action. We always talk about ‘transparency’, ‘open’, ‘collaboration’. Those words can be OSGeo’s core values and if we incorporate core values in OSGeo officially, core values may help us govern relationship with other organisation and clarify who we are.

So, my suggestion is like this.

1. At first we need to reexamine and revise OSGeo’s mission statement, the reason we exist
2. And then we need to develop core values of OSGeo, the way how we behave
3. Re-examine and revise OSGeo’s goals and then set the more clear long-term vision, the place we’re going.

With results of above 3 steps, we may reflect whether previous actions or behaviours around OSGeo were inline with OSGeo’s mission statement, core values and vision. We may assign specific time to each steps to manage meeting more effectively. I revised F2F meeting agenda[3].

I know this can be seen bureaucratic. However I believe if we develop core values of OSGeo, at least that will guide us the direction of how to respond to the matters.

Best regards,

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html
[2] http://www.nps.gov/training/uc/whcv.htm
[3] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Face_to_Face_Meeting_2016#Agenda