[Board] F2F Agenda - OSGeo Core Values

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Mon Dec 21 18:26:25 PST 2015

Dear Cameron,

Thanks for your great suggestions.

1. We should admit that core values or F2F meeting couldn’t be one-shot solution to remedy recent staggering of OSGeo. Instead our course to F2F meeting could be the remedy, if we prepare the F2F meeting with many people’s involvement, interest and participation. So finally I just hope F2F meeting be the turing point of OSGeo to get stronger and stronger.

2. To reduce board member’s burden and to increase participation from the community, we need to ask community members to actively participate in setting the agendas, expected outcomes of F2F meeting earlier rather than asking after F2F meeting. We may ask them to write down their own OSGeo’s mission statement/core values/visions there at wiki page. And then board members could review and discuss their ideas with board members. By doing this, we could engage/attract more diverse people and thoughts.

In short,

- Before F2F meeting: Asking OSGeo members to write down their mission statement/core values/vision of OSGeo there at Wiki page

- During F2F meeting: Review/discuss/refine proposed ideas with board members’s.

- After F2F meeting: Ask feedback/opinions to community for outcome of F2F meeting.

By dong this, we could create buzz around F2F meeting and also could hopefully attract many nice people/ideas. And finally make community members feel they are informed and involved.

Kind regards,

Sanghee

> 2015. 12. 22., 오전 6:20, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> 작성:
>
> Hi Sanghee,
> I really like your idea of consolidating an agenda and developing core values.
> The OSGeo Board created something similar a few years back, although we called it "Board Priorities"
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Board_Priorities
>
> I'd suggest that these Board Priorities could be used as one of the sources for deriving the Core Values you mention.
>
> There is also good material from Jeff. The version with my commentary is here:
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-November/015346.html
>
> My experience is that developing core values that a community buys into is a time consuming process, and it is hard to get it right first time. However, we have many smart (and opinionated) people within the OSGeo community, who do an excellent job of adding and refining ideas.
> So I suggest the Board meeting aim to build draft ready documents, which you then run past the greater OSGeo community afterwards for comment.
>
> Warm regards, Cameron
>
> On 21/12/2015 8:09 pm, Sanghee Shin wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I think we need to discuss more specific agendas of January F2F meeting now.
>>
>> I found that there was no core values at OSGeo statement[1] and I believe we need to develop core values[2] of OSGeo there at F2F meeting. As you know, the core values are the guiding principles that dictate behavior and action. We always talk about ‘transparency’, ‘open’, ‘collaboration’. Those words can be OSGeo’s core values and if we incorporate core values in OSGeo officially, core values may help us govern relationship with other organisation and clarify who we are.
>>
>> So, my suggestion is like this.
>>
>> 1. At first we need to reexamine and revise OSGeo’s mission statement, the reason we exist
>> 2. And then we need to develop core values of OSGeo, the way how we behave
>> 3. Re-examine and revise OSGeo’s goals and then set the more clear long-term vision, the place we’re going.
>>
>> With results of above 3 steps, we may reflect whether previous actions or behaviours around OSGeo were inline with OSGeo’s mission statement, core values and vision. We may assign specific time to each steps to manage meeting more effectively. I revised F2F meeting agenda[3].
>>
>> I know this can be seen bureaucratic. However I believe if we develop core values of OSGeo, at least that will guide us the direction of how to respond to the matters.

> [...]

신상희
---