[Board] Long term plans for "Geo for All" web resources

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 06:50:21 PST 2015

OSGeo Board,

Could i please bring this to your attention and request you to discuss this in your Board meeting tomorrow. To give you some background (you will get more details in the forwarded emails below from ica-osgeo labs lists ) we are grateful for OSGeo for allocating 5k USD in last year OSGeo budget [1] for ICA-OSGeo labs student travel funds which we did not use. Based on discussions with colleagues, one of the key areas which would like to have long term plans in place is our website. As Nimalika Fernando  from Sri Lanka very rightly summarized  "For people like me who are from developing countries and initiated OSGeo Labs, this web site is the main reference point. It acts as the umbrella, linking everybody, which I feel matters much. Personally, it helped me to convince others about the value of this initiative."

The website has been key in expansion and  we are thankful to colleagues at University of Southampton who had kindly developed and maintained this website for us for free but as we are growing rapidly we need to make sure they have at least some resources to expand and help other colleagues in our network to setup their own local websites etc.

Sometime  even things like setting and maintaining a local website (which might sound easy to many of us) is a  big hurdle esp. for academics in developing countries (and i very much know this from my own background coming from  India).  So it is important that we are able to help in whatever way possible for this and we need make sure that Jason Sadler (cc in) and other colleagues at Southampton have at least some modest resources at their disposal for this to help and guide colleagues who need help by build templates etc to for this.

Based on discussions in the mail lists, we decided that investing in the website and web resources  are key for us (and the website benefits all the labs members), so we wish to request that from the 5k USD allocation for ICA-OSGeo labs , 3500 USD is used for the website for 2015 with 1000 USD in future for annual maintenance efforts.

If any information needed, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2015