[Board] Clarifying Board voting rules

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Feb 9 07:17:02 PST 2015

Hello Board,

There was some confusion at the last OSGeo Board meeting regarding what
a "-0" vote does for a motion.  I tried to explain that a -0 is a slight
disagreement and that the motion would proceed (only a "-1" stops the
process).  It was explained to me that a "-0" stops the process, and
explained to me that the MapServer project does not pass a motion with a
"-0" vote.

The voter in this case confirmed that the desired effect was to
"slightly not agree" (see logs[1]).

I have verified that the example used, the MapServer Project Steering
Committee, in fact does *not* stop a motion with a "-0" vote, as
explained from the PSC Guidelines[2] here:

   - A vote of -0 indicates mild disagreement, but has no effect. A 0
indicates no opinion. A +0 indicate mild support, but has no effect.

   - Respondents may vote “-1” to veto a proposal, but must provide
clear reasoning and alternate approaches to resolving the problem within
the two days.

Therefore, as I explained in the Board meeting, if someone does slightly
disagree with a "-0", the motion will not be affected.

This will apply to the results of this email vote occurring now on the
mailing list.

Sorry for this confusion everyone,

-jeff

[1] http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2015-02-05.log