[Board] Changing from Dropbox for OSGeo Shared Folders?

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 07:16:51 PST 2015

Jeff,

Its perfectly fine to add to the public board list, I was just including
those folks directly involved but you're right to include the larger
community.

The cost for Dropbox Pro is $99/year for 1Tb. And OSGeo already has a
Dropbox Pro account. The problem is that this does not help anyone the
dropbox folder is shared with. Each individual still has the amount used
up. So if the OSGeo folder gets to 50Gb (for example), each person it is
shared with gets 50Gb used up, whether it comes from a dropbox pro account
or not. This is the same with Cubby. Copy.com divide the amount amongst
all the various users (eg if 5 users, each gets charged 10Gb) and for
Google Drive, it would all come from the owner of the shared folder and
none from the members shared with. That¹s why I concluded that Google
Drive seems the best for our situation where we have to have one paid
account (OSGeo) with high storage and everyone that has access (whether
synced to local drive or not) has no allocation changed to them.

Mike

----
Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer